I’m a chocolate fanatic. The only chocolate desserts I won’t enjoy are poorly executed ones. My boyfriend isn’t a fellow chocoholic, so I came up with a cookie recipe that included three of his favorite things: vanilla, caramel, and almonds. (Note: if you’re not confident in your caramel sauce-making skills, then you can use pre-made caramel sauce instead and skip step 4.)
Vanilla caramel almond cookies
Makes 24 cookies
Prep time: about 20 minutes
Dough-cooling time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 8-12 minutes
Ingredients & supplies:
• 1 stick of butter + an extra thin slice of butter (about 1/4 tbsp)
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 3 tbsps vanilla extract
• pinch of sea salt
• 1/4 tsp baking powder
• 2 cups flour
• 1 cup caramels
• 1 cup sliced almonds (which I just smashed in the bag, so I wouldn’t have to chop them further)
• 2 medium-sized bowls
• 1 saucepan
• 1 sturdy spatula
• 1 cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, melt butter, then cream white sugar, brown sugar, egg, & vanilla extract into it.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk salt, baking powder, & flour together. combine with butter mixture to make dough.
4. In a saucepan, melt thin slice of butter on medium-high heat and slowly start adding caramels, stirring vigorously with a sturdy spatula.
5. Once caramels are melted, quickly fold into the cookie dough. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to cool.
6. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, form cookie dough balls and bake for 8 to 12 minutes. Enjoy!