Three years ago, Brie and I went to Kroger to get ingredients for her 19th birthday cupcakes.
“Brie, what kind of cupcakes do you want to make?”
Brie surveyed the candy aisle and grabbed a couple of boxes. “Junior Mint!”
“That sounds good. Cream cheese frosting?”
“Yeah! And sprinkles!”
I used my favorite chocolate cupcakes recipe and added the Junior Mints. While the cupcakes were baking, I made my go-to cream cheese frosting recipe.
Junior Mint cupcakes with cream cheese frosting & sprinkles
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s chocolate cupcake recipe & Food Network’s cream cheese frosting recipe
Makes a dozen cupcakes (I usually have a few extra, as I like to make smaller cupcakes)
Prep time: 25-30 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
Cooling time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients & supplies
Cream cheese frosting:
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 stick of butter, softened at room temperature
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 2 cups confectionary sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese.
- Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract.
- Muffin tin that holds a dozen regular-sized cupcakes
- Medium bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- 12-16 paper cupcake liners
- Wire rack for cooling
- 3/4 cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 4 oz. boxes of Junior Mints
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put paper cupcake liners in tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with spatula until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream. Fold in Junior Mints.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners until it’s halfway to 3/4 full (depending on how big you want your cupcakes to be). Brie likes little cupcakes with a ton of frosting, which is why I make mine smaller.
- Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Cool for 10-15 more minutes.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting and top with sprinkles. Enjoy!