1. you should strive to be good, not unique. (contrary to their name, special snowflakes are everywhere. genuine people aren’t.)
2. once you discover that home is a feeling, not a location, your restlessness dissipates. (you won’t find a reason to plan your next escape.)
3. when you fall in love, your badass armor will crumble. (you will embrace your softness.)
4. it is okay that your parents like you less as each day passes. (they hate everything about you that doesn’t fit their idea of who you should be.)
5. trust your first impressions of everyone you meet. (your bullshit detector gets better as you get older.)
6. do not let people bend your empathetic ear if they can’t reciprocate. (you’re no one’s crutch.)
7. you will tire of the friends who lament about missing you on social media yet don’t keep in touch. (letting them go is easier than you thought.)
8. when someone insults others in order to compliment you, you’re right to be disgusted. (& to decline the intended compliment.)
9. happiness isn’t a constant state. (even the best days have comparatively low points.)
10. your weekend ritual of binge drinking will get boring. (if it doesn’t, your abysmal hangover recovery time will deter you from continuing the tradition.)
11. everything turns out the way it should. (though you won’t see the reason immediately.)
12. you are resilient. (you will bounce back from disappointments quickly because you can’t afford to waste time dwelling.)
13. when you hold yourself (solely) to your own expectations, you will like the person you become. (you may even love her.)
a pristine journal page
a cursor blinking
on your laptop screen
words that fail
to be scribbled or typed,
mocking the dearth of ideas
that has taken over your mind.
When Ceddy and I visited Jardins du château de Versailles, we rented one of the rowboats and paddled around the lake. Well…he did most of the paddling. I enjoyed the scenery.
resist the urge to
destroy the firm’s property —
this is not office space.
during the frigid season,
she stayed warm
inside a cocoon of
sweaters & scarves.
basking in the sun,
she shrugs off
her cumbersome clothes.
as her dress swings
while she twirls
in the warm breeze.